Using Email in Advising
Faculty advisers have found e-mail to be a quick, timely, and accurate way to provide information to advisees. It is particularly useful when you have large numbers of advisees.
Advisee Distribution Lists
- Adviser specific distribution lists of advisees are updated twice weekly. In addition, distribution lists of all students in a major and one for all students in a minor are also updated twice weekly.
Sending a message to your advisees:
Next to TO: type "advisees.your username" (e.g., advisees.goughdm.)
Note: The distribution list is automatically suppressed; the student will see only the name of the distribution list.
You can also access your own and your departmental distribution lists from the "address book" in Outlook
To receive a copy of your advisee distribution list:
- Create a new message.
- Next to TO: type getlist
- Next to SUBJECT: type the name of the distribution list (advisees.goughdm)
- Send the message. The distribution list will be returned to you via e-mail.
Faculty have successfully used e-mail to all their advisees for such things as:
- Events in the department or on campus
- Deadlines for such things as withdrawals or applying for entrance into certain schools/colleges
- Requirements for the major
- Information about new courses or about course sequencing
- Preassignments needed for courses
- Letting students know your office hours and what procedures you want them to use for making a registration appointment.