S/U Registration and Grading Policy
Current UW-Eau Claire policy allows a student to count up to 12 credits on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory basis toward graduation. On the S/U basis, a grade of C or better (not C-) is required to earn an S. A grade of C- or lower will result in a grade of U and no credit will be granted for the course.
Restrictions on the use of S/U registration
- Students must have 30 credits, including courses in progress at the time of registration.
- Students must have a resident GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- S//U registration may not be changed to the standard grading system (or vice-versa) after the approved deadline for dropping a class with no record of enrollment.
- A student may carry no more than one course on the S/U basis in any one term.
- No more than one course taken on the S/U basis may be counted toward a standard major or minor.
- No more than two courses taken on the S/U basis may be counted toward a comprehensive major.
- No more than 12 credits of S/U registrations will be counted toward graduation.
Exceptions to the above limitations
Colleges, or departments may place further restrictions on major, minor, or professional programs and sequences.
- Any student may enroll in one or more physical activity courses on an S/U basis and still register in one other degree credit course on an S/U basis.
- Individual courses may be designated as being available only on an S/U basis (e.g. SW 188).
Cautions related to S/U registration
- Some institutions, particularly graduate and professional schools, will not accept the grade of S in transfer.
- Some programs at UW--Eau Claire require courses taken in that program to be taken on the standard basis. Students who are uncertain about their major should be careful about taking courses S/U.
- If a grade of C- or lower is earned, the student taking the course on an S/U basis will not receive credit.
- If a student decides to repeat a course in which a grade of U was earned, the course must be repeated on the same grade basis as was applied to the original registration in the course.
- If a student takes a course on an S/U basis, they will be excluded from eligibility for the Dean's List and Academic Distinction.