print header

Second Degree Enrollment

You are considered a Second Degree student if you have earned a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited university and you are applying to UWEC to earn another undergraduate degree. You may also apply under this status if you are planning to take undergraduate pre-requisite courses for a graduate program.  (If you are not interested in seeking a degree and would like to attend UWEC part-time, another option would be to apply as a special student). 

Note:  If you have earned a bachelor's degree from UWEC and are applying for another undergraduate degree at UWEC, please see the following website for reentry students.  Or, if you have earned a bachelor degree from another institution and are interested in pursuing a teaching certification, please see the following websites for Post-Baccalaureate Teaching and Post-Baccalaureate Teaching Certification Frequently Asked Questions.

Application Process:

  1. Application: You can apply online at
  2. $44.00 application fee: You are exempt from this fee if the last school you attended was a UW College (2-year campus) or if you have previously been enrolled at UW-Eau Claire as a degree-seeking student.
  3. Official transcripts from each college or university you have attended.

    Apply Now

You do not need to submit a high school transcript or ACT/SAT scores.

This information should be sent to:
UW-Eau Claire
Office of Admission
PO Box 4004
Eau Claire, WI 54702-4004

We will begin to accept applications for the spring semester (January) on June 15, and for the fall semester on September 15. Priority deadlines are November 1 for spring admission and March 1 for fall admission. We strongly encourage students with transfer credit to apply for admission as early as possible. Qualified students applying after the priority deadline cannot be guaranteed admission.

If you have registered at other colleges and universities you may not disregard your records at those institutions. Failure to report previous college attendance is sufficient cause for cancellation of enrollment, of any credits earned, or both.

Transfer of Credits:

The Admissions Office will not evaluate the credits taken as for your first baccalaureate degree.  Instead, your transcripts will be forwarded to the appropriate academic department once you have been admitted.  An adviser will audit your transcripts and determine the courses you need to complete to earn a second degree. See the Second Degree Advisers sheet for a list of advisers.

The Admissions Office will prepare an official transfer credit evaluation for any undergraduate coursework taken after completion of your first degree.  This information will be available to your adviser when you meet with him or her to discuss your second degree.

Graduation Requirements:

A graduate who has earned a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and who subsequently becomes a candidate for a second baccalaureate degree from UW-Eau Claire must:

  1. Present 30 credits beyond the first degree, of which at least 23 must be taken in residence,
  2. Meet all major/minor and other degree-specific requirements of the second degree,
  3. Meet the cultural diversity requirement.

It is presumed that candidates for the second baccalaureate degree have met the following University graduation requirements: English competency, mathematics/statistics competency, foreign language/ foreign culture, general education, physical activity and wellness, and service-learning.

All second degree students must have their transcripts reviewed and their plan of study approved by an Associate Dean in the College of their major.

Tuition Deposit:

You will need to submit a $100 tuition deposit right away in order to be eligible to register for classes.  You can submit the tuition deposit either by mail or online:

  1. Submit the $100 tuition deposit by mailing a check.  Checks can be made payable to University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire.  Please write your Blugold/Campus ID# on the “memo” line of your check. (Your ID# can be found in the upper-right corner of your acceptance letter.)  Checks can be mailed to:

    University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
    Cashier’s Office
    P.O. Box 5000
    Eau Claire, WI  54702-5000

  2. Or, pay the $100 tuition deposit online. It is an Electronic Payment with a direct transfer from a personal checking or savings account.
  3. For questions regarding submitting the tuition deposit, please contact the Business Office (715) 836-5907 or  If you decide to cancel admission, please email to notify of the cancellation and your $100 tuition deposit will be refunded.

Financial Aid:

Students who are interested in receiving financial aid must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) . If you have completed the FAFSA, you must request a duplicate copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) online at or by calling 800-433-3243. Since financial aid does not transfer from school to school, you should make sure that UW-Eau Claire is listed as an institution you plan to attend. UW-Eau Claire’s financial aid code is 003917.

Please note: Students who have a first degree in education and are pursuing a non-degree additional certification are not eligible for federal financial aid.

Once you have completed the FAFSA, you will need to submit your $100 tuition deposit in order to view your UW-Eau Claire financial aid package.  Once the financial aid package is complete, the Financial Aid Office will mail you a letter regarding how to view your financial aid package online. For questions, contact the Financial Aid Office at 715-836-3373, by email at or visit


Excellence. Our Measure. Our Motto. Our Goal.