print header

Credit for Military Veterans

Students with military experience are often able to receive college credit at UW-Eau Claire.  They may receive credit for military courses, examinations such as CLEP and DSST, and coursework taken through other accredited institutions.

Credit for Military Experience

Students are encouraged to submit an official copy of their military transcript for review.  Transcripts can be requested the following ways:

Veterans can order a Joint Services Transcript (JST) at

After providing evidence of military service (DD214 or military transcript), students will automatically receive credit for the following:

  1. Physical Activity – 1 credit
  2. Completion of the UWEC Service Learning requirement

The military transcript will be reviewed for additional college credit based on the American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations.  Credit may be awarded for courses listed under “Military Course Completion” when ACE has recommended credit at the baccalaureate level.  Credit is typically awarded when the academic content of the course is similar to that which is offered at UW-Eau Claire.

Students may advocate for additional credit beyond what is initially awarded.  To do so, students should contact the chair of the academic department from which they are seeking credit.  Students should set up an appointment to meet with the chair, and bring a copy of their military transcript to the meeting.  If the chair agrees to award credit, he/she should notify the Admissions Office.

Credit by Examination

While in the military, students may have the opportunity to take examinations for college credit. UW-Eau Claire awards credit for several CLEP and DSST examinations.

Transfer Credits

While in the military, students may have the opportunity to enroll in college courses through accredited institutions.  These may include courses taken on campus, online, or through distance education.  UW-Eau Claire requires students to submit official copies of all transcripts.  Upon admission to the university, an official transfer credit evaluation will be performed. 

Credits earned at an institution accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education (CHEA) may be considered for transfer and will be applied toward a degree at UW-Eau Claire if they are appropriate to the specific degree. Continuing education courses, graduate-level courses, remedial courses or courses that are doctrinal in nature are not transferable.  In some cases technical courses may be considered for transfer if the quality and content of the coursework is judged to be comparable to coursework at UW-Eau Claire.


If you have questions about credit you may receive at UW-Eau Claire, please contact Heather Pearson, Associate Director of Admissions, at 715-836-4315 or

Excellence. Our Measure. Our Motto. Our Goal.