Pre-professional programs help students prepare for entrance into professional degree programs.
Pre-professional programs are not academic majors or minors, rather these programs provide an organized approach to academic advising for students intending to apply to a professional degree program. To enhance academic planning and preparation, a student interested in obtaining a professional degree should work with a pre-professional adviser.
Pre-professional programs offered at UW-Eau Claire include:
• Pre-occupational therapy
• Pre-physical therapy
• Pre-physician’s assistant
• Pre-veterinary medicine
Did you know
We have a pre-professional health club which serves all of our pre-professional health science students (pre-dentistry, pre-vet, pre-med, pre-optometry, pre-physician's assistant). There are other clubs such as the pre-vet club, pre-pt/ot club, and a pre-chiro club that offer opportunities for students to explore careers, bring in speakers and prepare for entrance exams to their professional schools.
Students in pre-professional programs are assigned well-informed, pre-professional advisers who are faculty members of various departments on campus. These faculty members help students explore careers in your professional field, plan appropriate curriculum for your field of interest, obtain professional academic requirements from other colleges/universities and recommend a major that is logically connected to your professional field.
More advising information
Choosing a major
UW-Eau Claire offers a variety of academic majors that provide excellent preparation for applying to professional programs. Students should select an academic major that will prepare them to compete for such professional programs as well as provide career alternatives. Some students elect to transfer to another higher education institution to complete the appropriate professional degree and/or preparation.
Health Careers Center
To learn more about health careers, students can utilize the Health Careers Center. At the Center, students will find advising resources, workshop information, program materials, and course information to help them prepare for biomedical graduate program or health professional program.
The university’s success rate at preparing students who gain admission to professional schools is outstanding. Below are just a few examples:
• UW-Eau Claire is one of the top universities in the state for the number of students accepted into medical school. Pre-medicine graduates have been accepted into the University of Wisconsin Medical School in Madison, Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee, University of Minnesota Medical School in the Twin Cities or Duluth, Northwestern University and Washington University.
• Pre-dentistry students have been accepted at Temple University (Philadelphia, PA), Boston University, University of Minnesota, Marquette University and University of Iowa.
• Pre-pharmacy students have continued at UW-Madison, University of Minnesota-Twin cities, University of Iowa, Concordia University (Mequon, WI), Roosevelt University (Chicago).
• Pre-PA students attend UW-Madison, Carroll University (Waukesha, WI), Marquette University, Nova Southeastern (Ft. Myers, Ft. Lauderdale, FL), Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (Chicago).
• Pre-vet students are at UW-Madison, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, University of Iowa, Iowa State, Murdoch University, Perth Australia.
• Pre-PT students are at Marquette University, UW-LaCrosse, UW-Madison, College of St. Scholastica-Duluth, Mayo-Rochester, University of Minnesota.
More career information
Program contact information
Director of Health Careers Center