Pre-Professional Health Programs
Pre-Professional programs help students prepare for entrance into professional degree programs. Pre-Professional programs are not academic majors or minors, rather these programs provide an organized approach to academic advising for students intending to apply to a professional degree program. To enhance academic planning and preparation, a student interested in obtaining a professional degree should work with a pre-professional adviser.
Pre-professional health programs offered at UW-Eau Claire include:
• Pre-Occupational Therapy
• Pre-Physical Therapy
• Pre-Physician’s Assistant
• Pre-Veterinary Medicine
Did you know
We have a Pre-Professional Health Club which serves all of our pre-professional health science students (Pre-Dentistry, Pre-Med, Pre-Optometry, Pre-Pharmacy, Pre-Physician’s Assistant). There are other clubs such as the Pre-Vet Club, Pre-PT/OT Club and a Pre-Chiro club that offer opportunities for students to explore
careers, bring in speakers and prepare for entrance exams to their professional schools.
Health Careers Center
Students can utilize the William J. and Marian A. Klish Health Careers Center to learn more about preparing for careers in health care. The center offers resources for academic and health career advising, connections to health-related clinical, research and volunteer opportunities, and workshops designed to build effective tools for career development and competitive applications to health professional schools.
Students can also meet with an adviser for individualized attention and assistance with health care career exploration.
Choosing a major
UW-Eau Claire offers a variety of academic majors that provide excellent preparation for applying to professional programs. Students should select an academic major that will prepare them to compete for such professional programs as well as provide career alternatives.
The university’s success rate at preparing students who gain admission to professional schools is outstanding. Below are just a few examples:
• UW-Eau Claire is one of the top universities in the state for the number of students accepted into medical school. Pre-medicine graduates have been accepted into the University of Wisconsin Medical School in Madison, Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee, University of Minnesota Medical School in the Twin Cities or Duluth, Northwestern University and Washington University.
• Pre-dentistry students have been accepted at Temple University (Philadelphia), Boston University, University of Minnesota, Marquette University and University of Iowa.
• Pre-chiropractic students have gone on to Northwestern College of Chiropractic, and pre-optometry students have attended Illinois College of Optometry, among others.
• Pre-pharmacy students have continued at UW-Madison, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, University of Iowa, Concordia University (Mequon) and Roosevelt University (Chicago).
• Pre-physician’s assistant students attend UW-Madison, Carroll University (Waukesha), Marquette University, Nova Southeastern (Ft. Myers, Ft. Lauderdale, FL), Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (Chicago).
• Pre-veterinary students attend UW-Madison, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, University of Iowa, Iowa State, Murdoch University and Perth Australia.
• Pre-physical therapy students attend Marquette University, UW-La Crosse, UW-Madison, College of St. Scholastica-Duluth, Mayo-Rochester and University of Minnesota.
Program contact informationHealth Careers Center