Role of the Vice President
Each student organization writes its own constitution and bylaws which should outline the basic role of each organization officer. It is solely up to the members of the organization to assign responsibilities to a specific officer. This publication reviews some possible position responsibilities. It is intended to assist you in constitution development and to help you answer the question, “Now I’ve been elected, what am I supposed to do?”
Although a student organization’s constitution lists some specific position responsibilities, each officer should have the freedom to personalize his/her office. Individual interest areas and skills often dictate the amount of time an officer spends on a particular responsibility. However, a good officer never forgets what the basic responsibilities are.
SOME POTENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assumes the duties of the President as needed.
- Serves as an ex-officio member of standing committees.
- Plans officerís orientation and organization retreats.
- Coordinates organization recruitment efforts.
- Attends student organization meetings.
- Represents organization at official functions.
- Remains fair and impartial during organization decision-making processes.
- Coordinates organization elections.
- Faculty/Staff advisor.
- Alumni members of the organization.
- Older members of the organization.
- Roberts Rules of Order.
- Organization constitution and bylaws.
- Organization historical records.
- Student Organizations Advisor.
ADAPTED FROM THUNDAR BOLTS, NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY.