Role of the Treasurer
Each student organization writes its own constitution and bylaws which should outline the basic role of each organization officer. It is solely up to the members of the organization to assign responsibilities to a specific officer. This publication reviews some possible position responsibilities. It is intended to assist you in constitution development and to help you answer the question, “Now I’ve been elected, what am I supposed to do?”
Although a student organization’s constitution lists some specific position responsibilities, each officer should have the freedom to personalize his/her office. Individual interest areas and skills often dictate the amount of time an officer spends on a particular responsibility. However, a good officer never forgets what the basic responsibilities are.
SOME POTENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Keeps all financial records of the organization.
- Pays organization bills.
- Collects organization dues.
- Prepares and submits financial reports to the members.
- Prepares an annual budget.
- Prepares all budget requests for funds.
- Is familiar with UW–EC accounting procedures and policies.
- Advises members on financial matters, i.e. vendors, ticket selling procedures.
- Coordinates fundraising drive.
- Attends student organization meetings.
- Represents organization at official functions.
- Remains fair and impartial during organization decision-making processes.
- Maintains contact with the Student Government Finance Commission.
- Faculty/staff advisor.
- Alumni members of the organization.
- Older members of the organization.
- Roberts Rules of Order.
- Organization constitution and bylaws.
- Organization historical records.
- Student Organizations Advisor.
ADAPTED FROM THUNDAR BOLTS, NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY.