Role of the Secretary
Each student organization writes its own constitution and bylaws which should outline the basic role of each organization officer. It is solely up to the members of the organization to assign responsibilities to a specific officer. This publication reviews some possible position responsibilities. It is intended to assist you in constitution development and to help you answer the question, “Now I’ve been elected, what am I supposed to do?” Although a student organization’s constitution lists some specific position responsibilities, each officer should have the freedom to personalize his/her office. Individual interest areas and skills often dictate the amount of time an officer spends on a particular responsibility. However, a good officer never forgets what the basic responsibilities are.
SOME POTENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Keeps a record of all members of the organization.
- Keeps a record of all activities of the organization.
- Keeps and distributes minutes of each meeting of the organization.
- Creates and distributes agendas for each meeting of the organization.
- Notifies all members of meetings.
- Prepares organization calendar of events.
- Schedules all practices, classes, and other activities of the organization.
- Obtains appropriate facilities for organization activities.
- Prepares and files any report required by UW–EC, Student Organizations Complex, and/or Student Government.
- Handles all official correspondence of the organization.
- Manages organization office space.
- Collects organization mail from Student Organizations Complex on a regular basis.
- Completes officer roster and turns into Student Organizations Complex.
- Attends student organization meetings.
- Represents organization at official functions.
- Remains fair and impartial during organization decision-making processes.
- Coordinates organization elections.
- Faculty/staff advisor.
- Alumni members of the organization.
- Older members of the organization.
- Roberts Rules of Order.
- Organization constitution and bylaws.
- Organization historical records.
- Student Organizations Advisor.
ADAPTED FROM THUNDAR BOLTS, NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY.