Leadership Living Learning Community
The Leadership Living Learning Community is a special residence hall community in Governors Hall for 44 first-year students, selected through an application process. The Leadership LLC challenges students to integrate leadership, knowledge, theory and experience to increase individual understanding of leadership and how it is applied in multiple contexts.
Activities, Involvement and Leadership’s role in the Leadership LLC includes helping to coordinate various leadership initiatives; speaking on a wide array of topics to help develop perceptions of leadership at UW-Eau Claire; promoting existing leadership opportunities including the Alternative Spring Break, We Lead Leadership Conference, U Lead Leadership Conference and the Leadership Seminar Series; and providing support to the participants as they complete their first year on campus.
By participating in the Leadership LLC, students will learn to do the following:
- Apply leadership knowledge through involvement in bettering the campus community.
- Articulate the importance of and the practice of ongoing leadership development and lifelong learning.
- Understand the evolution of leadership theory, the variety of theories in practice, and how to apply theory appropriately.
- Understand themselves as leaders and how their leadership strengths and styles affect relationships with others.
- Develop strategies to foster the development of leadership in others
Leadership LLC students participate in a number of programs to help meet these outcomes. These are examples of activities from previous years:
- Participation in a Living Learning Community Retreat
- Working with Hall Council committees
- Enrolling in for-credit and non-credit leadership courses
- Attending various leadership retreats including the National Residence Hall Honorary Fall Leadership Retreat and NRHH Spring Leadership Expo; We Lead Leadership Conference; WURHA (Wisconsin United Residence Hall Association); U Lead Leadership Conference; GLACURH (Great Lakes Affiliate of College and University Residence Halls) and NACURH (National Association of College and University Residence Halls)
- Dinners with community organizations or leadership faculty members
- Participation in a service-learning trip
- Various team building and discussion exercises including use of the high ropes course
Visit the Housing and Residence Life website for more information about the Leadership LLC, Learning Living Communities in general, and the application process.