Personnel Rules: Renewal of Appointments and Tenure Recommendations for Probationary Faculty
The Personnel Rules for Renewal of Appointments for faculty appear on pages 53-55 of the Faculty and Academic Staff Rules and Procedures. What follows is a summary of those rules. It is advisable to refer to the complete text in the Rules and Procedures when making personnel decisions.
1. The DPC shall
- give the probationary faculty member at least 20 days advance notice of department review and indicate if it is for reappointment or tenure.
- conduct a review and forward recommendation, reasons, and # of votes cast for and against to the Chair.
- inform probationary faculty of its recommendation in writing within ten days of the committee vote.
- decide, in consultation with the Chair, the date by which these processes will be completed in order for the Chair to meet the timeframe presented in 2 below.
2. The Chair shall
- meet with probationary faculty member to discuss progress toward tenure and provide suggestions regarding the faculty member's teaching and other academic responsibilities.
- make a recommendation and forward it along with the DPC's recommendation and reasons, to the dean within 20 days of the DPC's vote, at the same time inform the faculty member in writing of the recommendation.
This process will be concluded no later than:
- MARCH 20 for reappointment to 3rd - 7th years
- DECEMBER 15 for Tenure decisions
3. The Dean shall
- make a recommendation and forward it along with previous reviewers' materials to Provost and Vice Chancellor.
- inform the faculty member in writing of the recommendation within 20 days of making it.
4. The Provost and Vice Chancellor shall
- make a recommendation and forward it along with all previous reviewers' materials to the Chancellor.
- inform the faculty member in writing of the recommendation within 20 days of the day on which the recommendation is made.
5. For reappointment the Chancellor shall review previous recommendations and materials and make a final decision regarding reappointment by:
- MARCH 1: for reappointment to 2nd year
- DECEMBER 15: for reappointment to 3rd year
- MAY 19: for reappointment to 4th - 7th years
6. The Chancellor shall review previous recommendations and materials and make a final decision regarding tenure and promotion and shall
- for supported recommendations for promotion and or tenure, forward materials to the Board of Regents for approval.
- for recommendations not supported, inform the faculty member in writing before the end of the contract for that year; however, it is recommended that notification be done in December to allow sufficient time for the appeal process.