Dr. Karen G. Havholm
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research and Sponsored Programs and Director of the Center of Excellence for Faculty and Undergraduate Student Research Collaboration
Schofield Hall, Room 17
University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire
Eau Claire, WI 54702-4004
Fax: (715) 836-3963
Under the direction of, and in consultation with, the Provost and Vice Chancellor, and in accordance with University and System Policies, the Assistant Vice Chancellor serves as a member of the Academic Affairs Leadership Council, assists in maintaining a positive work environment that promotes service and quality, and supervises the staff in the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs. Specific duties are listed below.
1. Manages extramural grant development activities and all University grant-sponsored programs for promoting research, scholarly and creative activities, and professional development.
2. Establishes and maintains liaison with federal, state, and private funding agencies, and aggressively represents the University in the pursuit of extramural funding for its instructional, faculty and staff development, research, creative activity, student services, and public service programs.
3. Assists members of the university community in identifying funding sources and in developing successful extramural grant and sponsored program applications and in complying with University, state, and federal research regulations including, but not limited to, those pertaining to the protection of humans and animals as research subjects.
4. Develops, recommends, and administers research and professional development budget accounts, and assists faculty and academic staff in utilizing internal grant programs, as well as other support systems as "seed" funding for promoting the development of extramural grant and sponsored program applications.
5. Provides leadership in the merit review of internal proposals and compliance review of funded grants and chairs the Research and Creative Activity Council, the Academic Staff Professional Development Committee, the Sabbatical Review Committee, and the Academic Affairs Professional Development Committee.
6. Directs and actively promotes the activities of the Center of Excellence for Faculty and Undergraduate Student Research Collaboration including coordination of Student Research Day activities and assists the college deans and other university administrators in promoting excellence in academic programs.
7. Espouses the values of research, scholarly and creative activity to a wide array of audiences, and represents the University at state, regional, and national levels as requested, serves on University and System committees, and assists the Provost and Vice Chancellor as requested.