1. Share your expectations about the tutoring relationship with the tutee.
- Ask the student if he/she swiped in at the check in computer. Help him/her do that if needed.
- What do you expect from them?
- Find out what they expect from you. Is it realistic?
2. Spend time getting to know the tutee by discussing mutual interests, background, etc. Get to know him/her by name.
3. Allow the student to drive the tutoring session. What are his/her goals? What material does he/she want to cover? Begin with the materials that will build confidence and provide an atmosphere of success.
4. At the end of the session:
- Remind the student you will see him/her the next week at the same time/place.
- Give the student an idea of what you would like to work on at the next session and what he/she should bring or have prepared.
- Enter session notes into Tutor Trac.