B.A., UW-Eau Claire, 1990
M.A., UW-Eau Claire, 1994
- GEN 100 - Introduction to University Curriculum
- GEN 110 - Strategies for Academic Success
- GEN 201 - Student Success Seminar
- WMNS 210 - Culture of Third Wave Feminism
- WMNS 260 - Maleness in Contemporary American Film
- - - - - - - - - > Writings < - - - - - - - - > Awards < - - - - - - - - > Presentations < - - - - - - - - -
Patti's articles, fiction, and poetry have appeared in The Journal of Developmental Education, Salon Magazine, The Wisconsin Academy Review, The Southwest Review, Women's Studies Quarterly, and other magazines and anthologies. She co-authored with Professor Bruce Taylor (English) Higher Learning: Reading and Writing About College, Prentice-Hall, 3rd edition, 2011.
- Women's Studies Service Award, 2008
- 2006 UW System Regents Award for Excellence
- 2004 Academic Staff Excellence in Performance Award, UW-Eau Claire
- First place, Philosophical Mother Contest, October, 2003
- 2002 Student Recognition Award from Services for Students with Disabilities
- Distinguished Service Award, American Ethnic Coordinating Office, UW-Eau Claire, 1997
Listen to an Interview:
- Interviewed for “Faces and Voices of Feminism in the Chippewa Valley” (an oral history project conducted in honor of the 25th anniversary of the Women's Studies Program at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire)
- "Helicopter Parents and Their Satellite Kids" at the 2012 MN TRiO and WAEOPP Conference Building Bridges, Making Waves, Dululth, MN. April 16-18, 2012.
- "Observation * Memory * Research * Imagination: A Writer's Tools" at the 12th Annual Chippewa Valley Book Festival, Eau Claire, WI. October 18, 2011.
- ‘To Make Much of Time’: A Holistic Approach to Helping Students Regain Good Standing” at the 2010 Tri-State Trio Spring Conference, La Crosse, WI. April 19-21, 2010.
- “Every Day Feminism: Catching the Next Wave” at the 2010 AAUW Minnesota State Convention, “Blooms of the Future: Equity, Justice, Opportunity,” St. Cloud, MN, April 17, 2010.
- “Using ‘First Generation’ Film and Literature in an Interactive First-Year Classroom” at “Getting the Word Out,” a conference of the Wisconsin Association of Educational Opportunity Program Personnel (WAEOPP), Minocqua, WI. April 23, 2009.
- “Thelma and Louise and Contemporary Feminism” at Zhuhai College of Jinan University, Zhuhai City, Guangdong Province, China. June 10, 2008.
- “Smoke Signals as the First All Native American Film” at Zhuhai College of Jinan University, Zhuhai City, Guangdong Province, China. May 27, 2008.
- “ ‘Reel’ Teachers: Depiction of ‘The Professor’ in Contemporary Film” at the 38th Popular Culture Association Annual conference, San Francisco, CA. March 19-22, 2008.
- “My Experience as a Good Samaritan Kidney Donor” at the First Fridays Program, Christ Church Cathedral, Eau Claire, WI. March 7, 2008.
- “Liberating Act as Third Wave’s Everyday Activism” for the University of Wisconsin System’s 31st Annual Women’s Studies Conference “Intersectionalities in Women’s Studies Research, Teaching, and Activism,” UW-Madison. April 20-21, 2007.
- “Boy to Man: Maleness in Contemporary American Film” at the 37th Annual Popular Culture Association Conference, Boston, MA. April 4-7, 2007.
- “Using Film To Motivate At-Risk Students,” 2007 Hawaii International Conference on Arts and Humanities, January 12-15, 2007.
- “Slacker: Male Disengagement at College” at the 2006 UW-System Academic Staff Leadership Conference, “Leading in the Millennium: Governance, Challenges, Opportunities,” UW-Eau Claire. July 13-14, 2006.
- “Imagining College: Teaching for Critical Thinking” at the 17th Annual Teaching Academic Survival Skills (TASS) Conference, West Palm Beach, FL. March 5-8, 2006.
- Love’s Bluff: A Feminist Reading” at the University of Wisconsin System’s 30th Annual Women’s Studies Conference, “Warrior, Mythic, and Everyday Women: Women’s Ways of Leading,” Black River Falls, Wisconsin. April 21-22, 2006.
- “Everyday Feminism: Catching the Next Wave” at the United Council’s 10th Annual Women’s Leadership Conference Many Women / Many Voices Laying the Foundation for Our Movement, UW-Eau Claire, November 19, 2005.
- “Got 2, Give 1: Living Kidney Donation” for Women on Wednesdays, Hibbard Hall Penthouse, UW-Eau Claire, November 16, 2005.
- “Those Movie Moments: Using Film and Literature in an Interactive First-Year Classroom” at Pearson/Prentice Hall’s “Symposium on Student Success: Motivating for Achievement.” Chicago, IL, November 4, 2005.
- “Women and Body Image in Recent American Film” at the American Association of University Women-Eau Claire branch meeting. September 21, 2005.
- “Awareness Points for Interacting With _____ Students: A Guide for Better Understanding Diverse Student Groups” at the UW-System Academic Staff Leadership Conference, UW-River Falls, July 15, 2005.
- “Diversity in the Classroom: Multicultural Panel Discussion,” UW-Eau Claire, April 14, 2005.
- “Cellulite Closet: Women and Body Image in Recent American Film” at the AAUW-Austin branch meeting. Austin, MN, April 2, 2005. And at Women on Wednesdays. UW-Eau Claire, May 12, 2004.
- “‘Not Your Mother’s Feminism’: A Glimpse at the Third Wave” at the American Association of University Women-Chippewa Falls branch meeting. Chippewa Falls, WI, February 21, 2005; at the AAUW-Hastings branch meeting. Hastings, MN, October 25, 2004; at the AAUW-WI Joint State Convention with AAUW-Minnesota. Bloomington, MN, April 30-May 1, 2004; and at the Women on Wednesdays, UW-Eau Claire, November 20, 2002.
- “Teachers on the Big Screen: Observation and Analysis in the First-year Experience Class” at the Annual Conference on the First-Year Experience, Phoenix, AZ, February 4-8, 2005.
- “What the World Was Like Then: Feminism in Your Living room” at the Wisconsin Women in Higher Education Leadership (WWHEL) conference Confluence: Celebrating Women with Vision. UW-Eau Claire, October 14-15, 2004.
- “Keeping Men in College” at Get Wired and Inspired: 2004 UW-System Academic Staff Leadership Conference. UW-Stout, July 29-30, 2004.
- Invited speaker: “Doing Feminism: The Influence of Thelma and Louise on Contemporary Feminism” at the American Association of University Women-WI, Joint State Convention with AAUW-Minnesota. Bloomington, MN, April 30-May 1, 2004.
- “Speaking Out: Women with Disabilities Share Their World from Their Perspective.” UW-Eau Claire, March 10, 2004.
- “Liberating Act: Identifying Barriers One Step at a Time” at Critical Connections: Pedagogies of Engagement, UW System Institute on Race and Ethnicity. UW-Madison, February 26, 2004.
- “Movie Moments: ‘Doing’ Feminism Before ‘Talking’ Feminism” at the 28 th Annual Women’s Studies Conference Women’s Sphere: Reconfigured Traditions . UW-Stout, October 24-25, 2003.
- “Every Day Feminism: Evolving Leaders in the Third Wave.” Keynote Address at the Wisconsin College Women Leaders Conference Women With Clout – Women Who Collaborate, Lead, Organize, Unify andThink. UW-Eau Claire, June 6-8, 2003.
- “What are Millennials Reading?” Professional Development Workshop for Counseling Services staff, UW-Eau Claire, April 15, 2003.
- “Getting Off Probation: A Counseling/Learning Center Approach to Success” at the American College Personnel Association’s 79th Annual Convention, Minneapolis, MN, March 31, 2003.
- “Feminism Across Generations: Faculty, Staff, and Students Talk about How They Came to Feminism.” Women’s History Month Event, UW-Eau Claire, March 15, 2003.
- Invited pre-conference workshop “Coming of Age Film and Fiction in an Interactive First Year Classroom” at the Annual Conference on the First-Year Experience, Atlanta, Georgia, February 21-25, 2003.
- “Make Your Lives Extraordinary: Managing Self Instead of Time,” American Multicultural Student Leadership Conference, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, April 19-20, 2002.
- "Coming of Age: Film and Fiction in an Interactive First-Year Experience Class," at WI Council of Teachers of English and Language Arts/Wisconsin Communications Association Joint Convention, Appleton, WI, April 26-27, 2002; and at Twenty-First Annual Conference on the Freshmen Year Experience, Orlando, FL, February 15-19, 2002.
- ““Sequencing Writing in the First-year Classroom,” Students in Transition-West Conference, Irvine, CA, January, 1999. And at Network in Excellence in Teaching (NET) Brown Bag, UW-Eau Claire, April 3, 2000.
- “The Act of Revision,” A Writing Workshop for High School Students. L.E. Phillips Memorial Public Library, Eau Claire, WI, February 17, 2000.
- “Beyond Study Skills: Reading and Writing About College,” WI Council of Teachers of English and Language Arts 2000 State Convention, Madison, WI, April 6-8, 2000. And at First-Year Experience Conference-West, San Francisco, CA, January 27-29, 2000.
- "Transition to College Through the Experience of First-Year Literature," Wisconsin Council of Teachers of English and Language Arts 1999 State Convention, Madison, WI, May, 1999.
- "Using Imaginative Literature to Ease the Transition to College for First Year Conference on the Freshman Year Experience, Columbia, SC, February, 1998.
- “An Introspective Approach to Developing Critical Thinking,” Women in Higher Education Brown Bag Series, UW-Eau Claire, Spring 1997.
- "Think Like Spock: Developing Critical Thinking in Educationally Disadvantaged Freshmen," Popular Culture Association Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, March, 1996.